Monday, October 18, 2010

Field Tripping

What an amazing weekend. Friday started with another field trip for Valerie's class. We went to a living history trapper camp, much like the one I went on with Rex's class a couple of years ago. So, an hour in the car with 6 fourth graders was actually pretty fun (on the way there). We learned about trapping, trading, camp keeping, hunting and what it was like along the Sacramento River before gold was discovered. This was followed by a picnic in the park.

Here you see Valerie helping the "Camp Keeper" with the water buckets. Although it looks like some poor other chap has to do the heavy lifting.



Of course, usually healthy as a horse, I ignored the sinus headache that had been coming on a couple of days earlier. And on the drive home I was crushed under the weight of pain. My eyes hurt, my teeth hurt, my ears hurt. I had a vision of traumatizing the kids as my head might have exploded all over the windshield. Fortunately, this did not happen. But after dumping the kids off I went and got some medicine to relieve the sinus pressure and took a nap in the car until the kids were dismissed. Then I crawled through the hall and propped myself on the floor against the wall outside of Amira's class. I was unable to put on the air of having everything being okay.

So, I went home and proceeded to drink tons of my gypsy cold care tea (I swear by this) and rinse my sinuses with the netty pot. My friend Holly sent over some herbs and I picked up a bunch of homeopathic stuff. Miraculously by Saturday, although still tired and stuffed, the pain was gone.



The kids had some friends over and I was well enough to bake them some snickerdoodles, get together a big batch of kale chips, and start charring pablano peppers for the chiles rellenos I was going to make for a pot luck on Sunday.

By Sunday I was feeling way better. And I was surprised to see that it was raining outside. The potluck was still on. So, I scrambled together my rellenos, a salad and cut up the most amazing casaba melon I picked up from GRUB and then a pretty terrific salad complete with pomegranate from my backyard.

May I interject here that I love GRUB? This is the best CSA ever!



We arrived at Holly's house to celebrate the 100th Birthday of her House. Also, she and Casey had made homemade Carnitas with homemade tortillas. I should mention here, this was all compliments of Vino, Holly's pig who was so lovingly cared for and now was nourishing her family and friends. And there was some talk at the party of going in on a pig share with some other families. I think I totally want to do that.

Anyhow, people brought roasted garlic and onions, sourdough bread, homemade potato salad, pies and Eric grilled up some crazy catfish in fig leaves. I don't think I'll ever be hungry again. Oh, did I mention the black beans with homemade andouille sausage? This was a foodie/locavore delight. And Portia is always good for bringing an amazing cake. I wish I had a picture. There were little peas, corn, tomatoes and pumpkins complete with their vines decorating the sides of the cake.

My camera card is full. So, I will have to deal with that and get it ready for our next adventure so I can post here.

I don't want to jinx it, but I am slowly feeling better. If any of you get a horrible sinus head cold, start drinking the Gypsy Cold Care tea by Traditional Medincinals. Also, Sinusalia and Cold Calm put out by Boiron are good supplements. And a netty pot is indispensable. And if you have a friend with access to kick ass Chinese herbs, take her up on it. With Michael traveling so much this month, I have to stay healthy-ish.

No comments:

Post a Comment