Saturday, April 7, 2012

Five Alive

... and then there were five. I was warned to get more turkeys than I wanted to end up with. But, being the optimist, I figured nothing ridiculous would happen to "mine". I've heard Joel Salatin say that turkeys are the one animal that just looks for the most innovative way to kill itself. I've heard that they freeze because they don't have the sense to get under the heat lamp. I've heard that they suffocate because they pile on each other. I've heard that they die of thirst and hunger because they forget to eat and drink or don't recognize the food and water.

Well, it seems we have a case of turkey pile. Amira knocked on my bedroom door this morning, not to wish me a happy birthday as I was expecting (silly me!) but to tell me that we have a dead turkey. Already?! Unbelievable!

She was holding it in her hand. It was very flat. She told me the others were standing on it.

Okay, so if these other five can make it, I'll be stoked. I can't believe this one didn't even last a full 24 hours here??? It lasted a full week at the farm.

I'll do you all a favor and not post a picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment