Monday, March 3, 2014

Room Service

Sunday morning was the one morning we had this week to luxuriate and sleep in. When I finally roused myself to get dressed, I heard a rap, rap tapping at my door, "Just a minute. I'm getting dressed." I called to the door while pulling a shirt over my shoulders that were still sore from Saturday's yard work.

"Okay, but it's kind of heavy" Amira replied from the hall. Now when someone makes that statement, I have no idea what I'm going to see when I open the door. I grimaced and swung the door open to find Amira holding a tray with a couple of tea pots and a cup for Michael. "Hey! You made tea for Daddy! How thoughtful. I thought I smelled coffee this morning too. Do you know how to make my coffee?"







"Mommy, NOBODY knows how to make your coffee." Fair enough. I am a pick control freak when it comes to my coffee.







Madelyn's mom was driving the girls to the sheep barn for lambing at 4-H this day. I didn't have to be there until 3PM to pick them up so I thought I'd do some work in the garden of neglect and start some more seeds.

At about 1:30PM Carol, Valerie's 4-H leader, called me and sounded very serious and needed to talk. At first I was a little concerned that something had happened to Valerie. But any worries were quickly dismissed when I realized the true nature of her call.

She had a little ewe lamb that was wasting away because her mother had mastitis and her brother was drinking all the milk out of her good teat. Then she had a different momma who was trying to kill her little ram lamb. Now, she knew that Valerie was planning to get a couple of sheep in June after they were weaned ... But how would she like to take these two today? Go talk to your husband. I didn't say anything to Valerie yet. And if the answer is no, I won't.

I was so excited about taking the lambs but had to check it out with Michael first. He was out in the drizzle hooking up water to all the plants I'd put in the day before. "Honey, Carol called. Can we talk for a minute?" His response was like, "OMG! Is Valerie okay??!" I'm not the only one who worried.

His response was like, sure, she can take the lambs and bottle feed them every three hours and clean up after them, if it's okay with you, because I'm leaving for a job for ten days, coming home for a few and then leaving again.

True. This would not be an immediate imposition ... For him. Actually he didn't take any coaxing at all. That was too easy!

By 3PM I had a car full of girls and lambs.
































After I dropped Madelyn off at home I still needed to take one more person home. This would have left Valerie to hold two sheep. So I swing by the house. Amira and Rex were inside. I said, "











When we got home, Michael came out to see them and Rex was as surprised as we all were. But look at this grin on Michael's face as he holds a 2 day old lamb. Her name was Feather but Valerie changed it to Bambi. She cited my rule about no more ironic pet names (Fat died from obesity, Lucky was eaten by a hawk). Since Feather was tiny, weighing only 4lbs because she was starving ... She also cited the fact that she told a friend that she would name a ewe Bambi.











Michael has been getting up for 2:30am feedings with Valerie and wiping their little faces as well as bottle feeding while I'm at Zumba and kids are at school. I married Superman!












This little guy is named Forbes.








Anyhow, Michael is off working. Valerie is taking the night shift. I'm trying to squeeze in feedings all day along with everything else I do.

I will never get this posted if I don't do it today. So, see cute baby lamb pix & videos below.






Now, this is ROOM SERVICE! (Living room service)


Valerie is a good mom. Here's an instructional on how to feed a baby lamb:


YouTube Video




Susan dropped by just after they arrived at our house. She had no idea she'd get to hold baby lambs.






Lastly, if your living room didn't look like this on Monday morning, I'm sorry.


YouTube Video


No comments:

Post a Comment