Sunday, April 25, 2010

Spring Chickens & Gardens & Allergies



Well, spring has really sprung (You might be able to see from this picture of part of the garden. Tomatoes, carrots, shallots, etc. ) We've had Bessie out cruising around to do all our errands the last few days. Then, this morning in anticipation of May being "Bike Month", I decided to get into shape by riding downtown to pick up a few needed items. I don't have any pictures of the bike ride this morning because I was too busy arguing with somebody (who shall remain nameless) about why we were actually going to ride our bikes through the park and then downtown on this beautiful day instead of strapping into a car (a very cool one at that!) But then I realized, "Hey! Wait a minute, I'M IN CHARGE. And I don't have to explain myself and my crazy reasons to you."

Let's just say that after a few minutes of fresh air and exercise and looking at squirrels in trees and saying hello to people, the dark clouds of that mood passed on by - thank goodness!




But then, of course, the allergies really settled in. They've been coming on the last few days. I'm itchy and sneezy (and sleepy and dopey and sometimes Doc). It's so beautiful out that half of me wants to be really productive. The other half wants to take a nap and hide from the pollen.



I took a good look at the garden today and decided there wasn't really any space left for planting. So, I snapped off some pix for posterity. Next year I can look back at my blog and see my glaring mistakes or fantastic ideas.




Here you can see the tons of garlic and onions I planted. They won't be ready for another month, I'm guessing. Then there are the mounds of potatoes. I was only recently tipped off about covering them with straw. So, I tried to scoot around the tomatoes and peas. And way in the back I've put some zinnia and sun flower seeds in the hopes they'll peek out this summer.

Here you can also see the artichokes, roses, borage and well, lemon and bee balm behind the potato mounds. Well, maybe you can't see it all. But that's what is back there!



This here is my compost. It is full of chicken goodness, food scraps, bunny litter and straw. I was turning it today and there are just loads of worms. That's great!



The chickens are all flocking (separately for now). Sitting in my back yard is like Wild Kingdom! (With the added bonus of actual pollen, hawks, parts of rats, chicken poop, etc.)



In other news, my friend got her pig today. I'm so excited. I hope she invites me over to see it. I think it would be cool to have a pig. And some goats. And some bees. And some land for all these dreams. Well, and some time for them ...

No comments:

Post a Comment