Sunday, October 12, 2014

Autumn Activities

Well, autumn is here ... Or so I've been told. At least the mornings are cool and the afternoons, while warm, are tolerable. But I tell you this place is bone dry. I went for one of my delightful park walks with Eve & Julia. We took turns playing bait for the wild things (mountain lions, rattle snakes, poison oak, etc). I always feel safe hiking with them, wedged in the middle on the trail. We observed deer, a random prickly pear (and speculated how it got there!) and then this lovely creature:






Friday night was movie night at Amira's school. She took her buddy, Ruby. This month's movie was Muppets Most Wanted. I wasn't keen on it at first, but then found it delightfully hysterical and full of wonderful jokes and cameos that I'm sure were lost on the kids. I recommend this movie to anyone who grew up watching the muppets.



On Saturday Rex had another ball game. We caught the end of that and then ran over to the Fiber Fusion event at Patrick Ranch. Valerie was there for her October Fiber Sheep 4-H meeting. Here's most of her group showing off the "arm knitting" they learned at the end of the day.


This event had loads of crafts, work shops and demonstrations. We caught a sheep dog demo upon our arrival. There was a yak, sheep, goats and even bunnies present. Amira & Ruby spent most of their time hanging with another 4-H group and the bunnies. The bun-buns were pretty cute with little collars and bells & harnesses. So sweet!


Rex wrapped up the day with some archery at the in-door range down the street.


Today I spent some time putting together soups & casseroles for the week. Monday night we'll be having a "squash bake". It's like lasagna but with spaghetti squash (from our yard) instead of pasta. The kids will hate it!

Tuesday we'll have a chicken lime soup made from the left overs the other night. Shhhh! Don't tell them it's left overs.

Wednesday I'll be pulling some beef stew out of the freezer. It may also have a ring of familiarity about it. Bwahahahaaa!

Good news, though, we will have steak on Thursday to celebrate Michael's return from Spain. Yay! Steak night!

And because I was in a cooking mood, I baked down and strained several butternut squash. Now I can just whip out those pies and muffins like it was nothing.

Today I baked up these delightful little grain & dairy free muffins. They are so moist and chewy, the kids will never know. Or, if they don't like them, that means more for me.




The recipe was inspired by one on http://paleomg.com/?s=Pumpkin+muffins&x=0&y=0

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment