Sunday, January 25, 2009

Check out these mits!

Hey, I finally did it. I completed a project! Of course that was at the expense of so many others. Not only did I knit these fantastic hand warmers, (looking totally homespun in that one is slightly larger than the other) but I also knitted a pair of slippers for Valerie (not shown here) in the same fashion. That is to say that one slipper is slightly larger than the other!

But now I'm on to my next project. I'm pouring over my websites and books from the library about gardening, permaculture, companion planting, etc. I can look forward to other incomplete or not quite "as pictured" projects. Last year I had visions of the most insanely lush garden only to have my dreams repeatedly thwarted by a gopher. This year we're putting up gopher wire and traps. I will go totally medieval on any one of those varmints that dares to eat our produce this year.


Anyhow, while on the subject of gardening, I found a great idea that I absolutely love. A sunflower house! That's right, take and 8 x 8' square plot and sow seeds around the perimeter (leaving a spot open for a door) with giant sunflower seeds and morning glories. As the sun flowers grow, the morning glories will climb the stocks. When they reach their peak, draw twine across the tops so that the morning glories will trail across the twine creating a roof. How cool would this be for the kids? I looked around the internet for some images to show you. I found this one (sans the morning glories but you get the idea). There are many different designs for this. All I need to do is find the space and protect the space from the chickens and rabbit.

Speaking of chickens, the kids let them in the house again this morning! Doh!!! I spent a while cleaning up muddy chicken prints from the hardwood floor in the living room. Could I get more white trash if I tried?

1 comment:

  1. ohhh I love the hand warmers and if you EVER have the ambition to make another pair I'll even buy them from you. Yea, I'm that lazy that I won't go find a pair, I won't make them myself but I will guilt my friends into making them for me and then paying them back.

    chickens in the house? Sounds like a party!

    ReplyDelete