Friday, January 16, 2009

What's for dinner?


Weeks like this don't happen often, thank goodness. But when there is an unexpected event (someone has surgery, an appliance breaks, the universe conspires to see us squirm) the first thing that flies out the window for me is meal planning. I immediate reach for chocolate, caffeine, cheese, salty popcorn or something to fill the knots in my stomach. Of course when life sails along in a somewhat controlled way, I find myself planning meals out a week in advance and having the fridge stocked with fresh fruits, veggies, dinners, snacks, etc.

Well, this week I fell off the organized wagon into a pit of chocolate, coffee and popcorn (so much for my super healthy "raw by day" with a sensible dinner at night plan!) I just didn't have the extra time to play in the kitchen. I love to play in the kitchen.

I often scan the web for sites for recipes or meal planning or ideas to make my life easier. And I swing like a pendulum. I have recipes without meat, without wheat, without dairy, without fat, etc. It's just too much to think.

Now that Michael can start eating with a clean slate again, I began re-thinking how nice it would be to have a "month at a glance" menu. I just didn't have the imagination or brainpower to think it up today. Then I stumbled on this site. I couldn't be more excited! There are templates for creating seasonal monthly menus. There are shopping lists to print out. There are "dinner games" for the family to play. (What kind of a sick mind gets excited about organizational templates you ask? That's right... ME!)

I thought I'd share the site in case any of you are in need of such inspiration. If I ever get together a month at a glance menu that I'd actually cook, I'll be sure to post it. Tonight we're having spanikopita (Greek spinach pie). I like the veggies and the kids dig the filo dough. What's not to love.

I don't know what's for dinner tomorrow. I'd better jump on that template!

No comments:

Post a Comment