Friday, January 9, 2009

Sew Not Crafty

Always slightly envious of my super crafty friends, I find myself oogling sites on how to make that fantastic vintage dress, knit the best ever slippers or mittens, cook that gourmet meal. I used to knit. I was passable. By no means crafty. And sewing ... well, I'm frankly better at shopping. I started a skirt a couple of years ago from a pattern that claimed to be so easy that a two year old could do it. When I got to the part where I had to put the zipper in, I went running to the fabric store for assistance. The woman held the skirt up to me and said, "Um, did you actually measure yourself before starting this pattern?" Needless to say, the zipperless fabric is still folded in a box under the bed.

Recently my mittens got packed away with the snowboarding gear. I was too lazy to pack up the gear myself so I let Michael do it. (Thanks, honey!) But he did such a good job of putting it all away ... and well, I'm too lazy to go dig it out. I figured this was a good opportunity to get back into knitting. (Because with all the pets and kids and job, you know I've got loads of free time on my hands). I trolled the internet for free patterns and found this little number on the free knitting patterns link (on my side bar if you must know). Well, sadly, I just don't have the skills for this "advanced" project. And my hands are freezing. I can barely type this. (That's right, feel sorry for me!)

I think it might be time for a trip to Heartstrings to sign up for a class in my spare time. What's one more night out? Book club, PTA and now knitting! Well, we'll see how it really goes. But I must get out and support that local business to do my part to save the economy, right? And to be super-sustainable woman, I should probably make use of all those left over skeins of yarn lurking in my knitting bag.

Okay, I've talked myself into it. I'll let you know how they turn it out next year when I finish the project.

No comments:

Post a Comment